of Nobody Important




I guess nobody would have made her presence of one that is important, nobody but me. She is someone special to me, though she is nobody to me. I hope writing this down is never too late for her for she has passed this world a week ago.

She was a simple lady, a mother of few, a dedicated wife to her husband and the family. I called her ‘Acik Eton’, she came to my school ‘Maahad Ahmadi Gemencheh’ to work as a dishwasher at our Dining Hall. She used to wash for the boys, hence cleaning up the boys’ area. As I have said, she was nobody to me, the only bond I would have with her is that we are Muslims, yet I am closed to her. Maybe I am closed to every ‘Makcik Dewan Selera’.

She passed away last week, in all of a sudden, without anyone noticing it. I only knew about this matter when I called one of the ‘Makcik’ who had taken me as her adopted child. It was on the Tuesday last week when she said she had had headache, so she applied for an off day on Wednesday. On Thursday, she still had not showed up, I believed that some of the ‘Makcik’ had been wondering of her absence. Without them knowing, she had been submitted and to remain at the ward for operation, her child did not inform the ‘Makcik’.

When the matter had got to them, they went to the hospital and paid a visit. She was supposed to go for an operation when she was identified to have appendix problem, but the doctor kept her waiting too long, attending to other patients and letting her suffer from not eating since morning to the next day. On Friday, she passed away, her appendix had perforated, it was too late, and moreover she was too weak due to the restrain from eating more than a night.

I don’t know who to blame. Is it the doctor who kept delaying the operation or due to the restrain from eating more than a night, of which also to be put on the doctor. She is not the first person of whom I know to have experienced such mistreat. My late aunty was one of them, she had diabetes so it had infected her leg, pus was coming out at every bit of her skin and the smell was also awful. So the nurses wrapped her leg, but did not care to clean it. She was also verbally abused by the nurses. My question is why? Why would you say bad things like that? Aren’t you supposed to do your job? She died few days after, and we didn’t get to see her for the last time. Was it because that she was nobody important to you that you did not give her attention she needed?

Remembering ‘Acik Eton’, even though she was only a dishwasher, I had honoured her as I had honoured my mom, I gave her respect as she deserved it as a Muslim lady. At times when I paid a visit to my old school, I would talk to her and the other ‘Makcik’ and kept them company. We conversed about many things, and she always asked of my well-being and expressing her concern. Sometimes we laughed together as I helped her cleaning the veggies and cut them to pieces. Sometimes she teased me for my “too-urban” style when I was cutting the chicken to pieces for lunch. It would be wrong if I said that I am not sad with her passed, but it was too fast, and the way her life ended was tragic, in the sense of the value of life was put at stake, and you (the doctor) with the skills had kept her waiting without food, and suffering.

For the late Allahyarhamah, al-Fatihah,  Please to know that even though you are not tied to me in any official relationship, you are always dear to me. And I ask of Allah that He would lessen your burden in the grave and He would lighten up the darkness, and make your grave spacious of most. Above all, may Allah put you with the believers, and may we meet again in jannah.



1 comments:

al asad said...

Al Fatihah.. I could feel your sorrow of her demise. Very touching indeed.. huhu

Subscribe via E-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Something About the Blog

we write from our hearts so we may reach yours, as we endure the life full of challenges, and we choose the Quran and Sunnah as our guidance to live the life

Keep Updated!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Widgets

NetworkedBlog